The Biodiversity Challenge Funds have produced a range of reviews and information notes from evaluations of projects and themes that could be useful for future or ongoing projects.
Information notes are the new name for short publications, which provide information to the Darwin Initiative community and beyond.
Fund level evaluations
In September 2020, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), commissioned Ecorys to undertake an evaluation of the three Biodiversity Challenge Funds - Darwin Initiative, Darwin Plus and Illegal Wildlife Trade Challenge Fund, henceforth collectively referred to as ‘the scheme’.
The scope of this evaluation included all projects since the beginning of the scheme across all countries of operation. The evaluation had the following key objectives: assess the impact of the scheme; identify gaps in logic and draw out key lessons to understand how the scheme could be improved; facilitate clearer communication of the scheme’s key achievements; and make suggestions for establishing effective monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems. The results of this evaluation enabled Defra to improve the quality of the scheme going into the future, as well as showcasing Defra’s contributions to global biodiversity and environmental protection ahead of international conferences.
Reports and deliverables from the evaluation:
- Inception Report
- Inception Report - Supplementary Materials
- Final Report
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Report
- Project Reporting Information Note
- Poverty and the Darwin Initiative Information Note
- Key Lessons from Annual and Final Reports in 2016/17 Information Note
- Key Lessons from Belize Mid Term Reviews Information Note
- Key Lessons from Nepal Mid Term Reviews Information Note
- Understanding Poverty and Biodiversity Links Information Note
- Indian Ocean Cluster Information Note
- Logical Frameworks Information Note
Learning notes are short publications highlighting some of the lessons drawn out of recent evaluations of projects or the wider programme.
- Learning Note from MTR: a Pro-Poor, Sustainable Bushmeat Harvesting Model in Cameroon
- Learning Note from MTR: Pesticide Impacts on Biodiversity in Ethiopia & Agroecological Solutions
- The Nagoya Protocol learning note
There are short updates about a technical area that is intended to help you undertake your work on a Darwin Initiative project. They set out the Darwin Initiative’s position on various issues of relevance to Darwin Initiative projects.
- Writing an Annual Report 2017
- Monitoring and evaluation and the Darwin Initiative uploaded October 2015
- Sustainable Development Goals and the Darwin Initiative
These are evaluations and lessons derived from reviews of Darwin projects.
- Monitoring Visit: China uploaded August 2017
- Mid-term Review: Mozambique uploaded September 2016
- Mid-term Review: Uganda uploaded September 2016
- Mid-term Report: Ethiopia uploaded March 2015
- Mid-term Report: Cameroon uploaded March 2015
Evaluation of Closed Projects
These are evaluations of closed projects within a specific region or country.