Improving participatory conservation of fruit and nut forests in Tajikistan
FFI - Fauna and Flora International
Host Country Institutions:
Europe & Central Asia
The objectives of the scoping visit are:
• To convene a series of stakeholder meetings to identify key issues, threats and challenges.
• To obtain a clear understanding of the situation and develop a conceptual model of the environmental, political and socio-economic development challenges.
• To develop strategies for mitigating and alleviating these challenges, and contributing towards the Millennium Development Goals.
• To develop the project concept in a participatory manner with partners (really only effective face-to-face due to language and cultural issues) and clarify roles and expectations.
• To develop a plan for adaptive management of the situation, monitoring and responding to current and emerging threats.
To identify areas where biodiversity conservation can be fully supported, without compromising the needs of local communities.