The purpose and objectives of the resulting Darwin project will be;
1. The training of staff from the Centre for African Wetlands and Volta Basin Research Project in macroinvertebrate taxonomy and ecology;
2. The development of a wide range of taxonomic resources for West African scientists and communities, including taxonomic keys, reference collections and internet based databases;
3. Enhanced understanding of the distribution and ecology of riverine macroinvertebrates in Ghana, the environmental variables determining this distribution and the development of pollution indicators;
4. A strategic management plan for Ghanaian rivers, including an analysis of threats, to permit the more effective management and protection of these habitats and assist in the delivery of the Biodiversity Convention in Ghana;
5. Regional capacity building by the targetted dissemination of project outputs and a training workshop for scientists from Ghana and other West African countries.