Developing native seed mixes for habitat restoration in the Falklands
Dr David Doxford
Falklands Conservation - FI
Host Country Institutions:
1. Review of current vegetation data held at Falklands Conservation with the aim of finalising two groups of restoration trial species, drawing on successful outcomes of recently completed OTEP project (FAL601).
2. Identification of sites for native restoration species’ germination trials
3. Survey of 1998 trial restoration sites set up using introduced grasses by a PhD student who did not complete her project. Assessment of their usefulness to the planned main project.
4. Consultations with the DoA and Stanley Nurseries to identify the mechanism at the end of the main project that will ensure a commercially viable source of seed is available for all species in the developed seed mixes.
5. Intensive seed collecting and cleaning of target species ready for a full Darwin project;
6. Final report
Related Projects: Inshore cetaceans of the Falkland Islands