Community based conservation of Hoang Lien Mountain Ecosystem, Vietnam
Ms Sara Oldfield
FFI - Fauna and Flora International
National Forest Protection Dept, Forest Inventory and Planning Institute
To develop a community based protected area system of management in the Hoang Lien Mountains.
1. Priority sites for plant and primate conservation identified. Threat analyses for endangered species & habitats (e.g. trade study).
2. Village conservation stewardship agreements in place (e.g. improvement of forest protection contracts and local forest protection regulations)
3. Increased awareness for plant and primate conservation
4. Propagation of endangered plants and /or development of more sustainable systems of NTFP extraction
5. Improved community participation in protected area management and law enforcement
6. Gazettement of new protected area in Van Ban district (or expansion of existing Hoang Lien reserve)