The aim of this scoping trip is to gather relevant information, engage partners and local community stakeholders in order to develop a Stage 1 proposal. Objectives of the trip:
• Identify and consult national and local stakeholders
• Gather relevant opinions and information on social and wealth conditions of coastal communities in Weda Bay
• Identify opportunities for sustainable livelihood development for coastal communities in Weda Bay
• Gather further information on marine resource use
• Assess feasibility of MPA/LMMA implementation and identify priority sites
• Assess feasibility of community-based forest conservation through the designation of village forests as well as opportunities for protected area designation
• Develop a Darwin stage 1 proposal in partnership with RCFI and in consultation with relevant stakeholders, including commercial partners with a view to establishing sustainable financing options from the project inception.