Pioneering Community-based Conservation Sites in the Polillo Islands, Philippines
Dr William Oliver
FFI - Fauna and Flora International
Host Country Institutions:
University of the Philippines at Los Banos, Pollillo Islands Biodiversity Conservation Foundation
protected sites, with the active participation and approval of relevant local communities and other stakeholders, in order to conserve endemic and globally threatened species and habitats
1. Biological surveys completed and priority sites selected and mapped.
2. At least six top-priority areas agreed by a process of consultation with local communities, authorities and other key stakeholders.
3. Management strategies and operational plans developed and agreed for the protected sites.
4. Local personnel trained in site management and monitoring, and essential management resources provided.
5. Essential habitat and species restoration/ recovery, enforcement, and other management interventions initiated in the protected sites.6. Heightened awareness and understanding among local communities and government of the need to conserve biodiversity in Polillo and the wider Philippines.