The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) seeks applications for members to join its Darwin Plus Advisory Group (DPAG).
We are particularly seeking individuals who have good knowledge of environmental issues within the UK Overseas Territories (UKOTs) including biodiversity conservation and protection, management of the marine environment and climate change issues affecting the UKOTs
This expertise should also ideally be supplemented by knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Delivering the UK Government’s commitment to create a Blue Belt of marine protection around the OTs. This includes:
- Improving marine conservation, protection or management, including developing integrated marine management plans
- Promoting sustainable fisheries including the development of sustainable management plans and development of the fisheries sector, including aquaculture
- Dealing with invasive alien species including prevention through improved biosecurity and/or eradication/control where species have already become established
- Developing approaches to deal with the effects of climate change, including renewable energy schemes
- Developing tools to value ecosystem services to inform sustainable development policies and practices and/or mainstream environmental issues
- Developing ecosystem-based initiatives for the conservation and sustainable use of the terrestrial and marine environments
- Promoting sustainable fisheries within the UKOTs, including the development of sustainable management plans and development of the fisheries sector, including aquaculture
- Developing or improving waste management strategies
- Developing data systems on biodiversity (and human activities affecting biodiversity) to help develop policies and management plans (including baseline survey and subsequent monitoring)
Applicants from a wide range of backgrounds will be considered including private sector, academic and professional institutions and non-governmental organisations.
The deadline for applications is noon on Friday 18th August 2017 and appointments will commence in mid- September 2017.
You’ll need to be able to demonstrate a strong track record in your area and be able to apply your expertise in helping the DPAG formulate advice to Ministers on Darwin Plus applications. You will need good knowledge in your own area but also be able to challenge the group in discussions on subjects outside of your expertise.
We’re looking for individuals who, as leaders in their field, genuinely want to contribute at the highest levels and are able to support their views with well-argued evidence. You’ll offer sound judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to assimilate complex information and preferably have previous committee experience.
An application pack is available at the bottom of this advert.
For further information on Darwin or Darwin Plus, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org