Our latest edition of the newsletter is themed around Sustainable Development Goal 14 “Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development”. Oceans cover three quarters of the Earth’s surface and support the livelihoods of over three billion people. However, ocean ecosystems are under threat, with as much as 40% the world’s oceans negatively impacted by human activities. Many Darwin Initiative and Darwin Plus projects are working towards the targets of this goal. The articles featured below highlight how some of our projects are working towards:
- Sustainably managing marine and coastal ecosystems
- Increasing the level of protection for ocean habitats
- Improving the sustainability of fisheries and minimising the impacts of overharvesting
- Providing access to markets for small scale fishers
- Increasing scientific knowledge and the capacity for marine research in developing countries
We hope you enjoy, and please share with your colleagues and networks. If you work on a Darwin project and would like to submit an article to the next Darwin newsletter, please contact Darwin-Newsletter@ltsi.co.uk.